Saturday 14 April 2018

Shakespeare 1994 – The taming of the shrew

-->
Not really sure what to make of this one. It makes me want Katharina to strike back. 



“Petruchio: Myself am moved to woo thee for a wife.
Katharina:Moved! In good time: let him that moved you hither
Remove you hence: I knew you at the first,
You were a moveable.
Petruchio:                   Why what’s a moveable?
Katharina: A joint stool.
Petruchio:                   Thu hast hit it; come, sit on me.
Katharina: Asses are made to bear, and so are you.
Petruchio: Women are made to bear, and so are you.
Katharina: No such jade as you, if me you mean.
Petruchio: Alas, good Kate! I will not burthen thee!
For knowing thee to be but young and light -
Katharina: Too light for such a swain as you to catch;
And yet as heavy as my weight should be.
Petruchio: Should be! Should – buzz!
Katharina:                              Well ta’en, and like a buzzard.
Petruchio: O slow-wing’d turtle! Shall a buzzard take thee?
Katharina: Ay, for a turtle; - as he takes a buzzard.
Petruchio: Come, come, you wasp; I’faith, you are too angry.
Katharina: If I be wasish, best beware my sting.
Petruchio: My remedy is then, to pluck it out.
Katharina: A, if the fool could find it where it lies.
Petruchio: Who knows not where a wasp does wear his sting?
In his tail.
KatharinaIn his tongue.
Petruchio:                               Whose tongue?
Katharina: Yours, if you talk of tails: and so farewell.
Petruchio: What, with my tongue in your tail? Nay, come again,
Good Kate, I am a gentleman.
Katharina: That I’ll try. (she strikes him)

No comments:

Post a Comment