Thursday 3 March 2016

The two Gentlemen of Verona - William Shakespeare

“Speed:
Sir Proteus, save you. Saw you my master?
Proteus:
But now he parted hence, to embark for Milan.
Speed:
Twenty to one, then, he is shipp’d already,
And I have play’d the sheep in losing him.
Proteus:
Indeed, a sheep doth very often stray,
An if the shepherd be awhile away.
Speed:
You conclude that my master is a shepherd then,
And I a sheep?
Proteus:
I do.
Speed:
Why, then, my horns are his horns, whether I
wake or sleep?
Proteus:
A silly answer, and fitting well a sheep.
Speed:
This proves me still a sheep.
Proteus:
True; and thy master a shepherd.
Speed:
Nay, that I can deny by a circumstance.
Proteus:
It shall go hard but I’ll prove it by another.
Speed:
The shepherd seeks the sheep, and not the sheep
The shepherd; but I seek my master, and my
Master seeks not me: therefore I am no sheep.
Proteus:
The sheep for fodder follow the shepherd,
The shepherd for food follows not the sheep;
Thou for wages follows thy master, thy master
For wages follows not thee: therefore thou art a
Sheep.
Speed:
Such another proof will make me cry ‘ba’.” (Shakespeare, 1994, p.188).

“Proteus:
Thus I have shunn’d the fire for fear of burning,
Ad drench’d me in the sea, where I am drowned.” (Shakespeare, 1994, p.191).



No comments:

Post a Comment