Saturday 12 December 2015

Titus Andronicus - Shapespeare 1994



Seems like a never ending orgy of meaningless violence. Not quite sure what to make of it.


“Titus Andronicus:
Come, come, Lavinia: look, thy foes are bound. –
Sirs. Stop their mouths, let them not speak to me;
But let them hear what fearful words I utter. –
O villains, Chiron and Demetrius!
Here stands the spring whom you have stain’d with mud;
This goodly summer with your winter mixt.
You kill’d here husband; and, for that vile fault,
Two of her brothers were condemn’d to death,
My hand cut off, and made a merry jest;
Both her sweet hands, her tongue m and that more dear
Than hands or tongue, her spotless chastity,
Inhuman traitors you constrain’d and forced.
(…)
This one hand yet is left to cut your throats,
Whilst that Lavinia ‘tween her stumps doth hold
The basin that receives your guilty blood.
You know your mother means to feast with me,
And calls herself Revenge, and thinkgs me mad: -
Hark, villains! I will grind your bones to dust,
And with your blood and it I’ll make a paste;
And of the paste a coffin I will rear,
And make two pasties of your shameful heads;
And bid that strumpet, your unhallow’d dam,
Like to the earth swallow her own increase.” (Shakespeare, 1994, p.163).

“Aaron:
O, why should wrath be mute , and fury dumb?
I am no baby, , that with base prayers
I should repent the evils I have done:
Ten thousands worse than ever yet I did
Would I perform, if I might have my will:
If one good deed in all my life I did,
I do repent it from my very soul.” (Shakespeare, 1994, p.165).





No comments:

Post a Comment