Saturday 14 March 2015

David Copperfield Charles Dickens 2010

A book almost free any ideas, concepts and philosophies but the love and understanding of mankind.

“Whether I shall turn out to be the hero of my own life, or whether that station will be held by anybody else, these pages must show.” (Dickens, 2010, p.355).



““What! Bewitching Mrs Copperfield’s encumbrance?” cried the gentleman. “The pretty little widow?”
“Quinion,” said Mr. Murdstone, “take care, if you please. Somebody’s sharp.”
“Who is?” asked the gentleman, laughing.
I looked up quickly; being curious to know.
“Only Brooks of Sheffield,” said Mr. Murdstone.
I was quite relieved to find it was only Mr. Brooks of Sheffield; for, at first, I really thought it was I.” (Dickens, 2010, p.369).

“We used to walk about that dim old flat at Yarmouth in a loving manner, hours and hours. The days sported by us, as if Time had not grown up himself yet, but where a child too, and always at play.” (Dickens, 2010, p.378). “We made no more provision for growing older, than we did for growing younger.” (Dickens, 2010, p.378). “So the fortnight slipped away, varied by nothing but the variation of the tide.” (Dickens, 2010, p.380).

“how kind and considerate Mr. Copperfield had always been to her, and how he had borne with her, and told her, when she doubted herself, that a loving heart was better and stronger than wisdom, and that he was a happy man in hers.” (Dickens, 2010, p.441).

“I found Uriah reading a great fat book, with such demonstrative attention, that his lank forefinger followed up every line as he read, and made clammy tracks along the page (or so I fully believed) like a snail.” (Dickens, 2010, p.507).

“Time has stolen on unobserved, for Adams is not the head-boy in the days that are to come. (…) He has not staggered the world yet, either; for it goes on (as well as I can make out) pretty much the same as if he had never joined it.” (Dickens, 2010, p.529).

“My passion takes away my appetite, and makes me wear my newest silk neckerchief continually. I have no relief but putting on my best clothes, and having my boots cleaned over and over again. I seem, then, to be worthier of the eldest Miss Larkins.” (Dickens, 2010, p.530).

“He surrounded himself with an atmosphere of respectability, and walked secure in it.” (Dickens, 2010, p.549).

““I think my memory has got as short as my breath,” said Mr. Omer” (Dickens, 2010, p.552).

Best description of being drunk: “Somebody was smoking. We were all smoking. I was smoking, and trying to suppress a rising tendency to shudder. (…)
Somebody was leaning out of my bedroom window, refreshing his forehead against the cool stone of the parapet, and feeling the air upon his face. It was myself. (…)
We went down-stairs, one behind another. Near the bottom, somebody fell, and rolled down. Somebody else said it was Copperfield. I was angry at the false report, until, finding myself on my back in the passage, I began to think there might be some foundation to it. (…)
The whole building looked to me as if it were learning to swim; it conducted itself in such an unaccountable manner, when I tried to steady it.” (Dickens, 2010, p.590).

“I said he was a hound, which, at the moment, was a great satisfaction to me.” (Dickens, 2010, p.595).

“if I could oblige her with a little tincture of cardamums mixed with rhubarb, and flavoured with seven drops of the essence of cloves, which was the best for her complaint; - or, if I had not such a thing by me, with a little brandy, which was the next best. It was not, she remarked, so palatable to her, but it was the next best.” (Dickens, 2010, p.614).

“If I may so express it, I was steeped in Dora. I was not merely over head and ears in love with her, but I was saturated through and through. Enough love might have been wrung out of me, metaphorically speaking, to drown anybody in; and yet there would have remained enough within me, and all over me, to pervade my entire existence.” (Dickens, 2010, p.664).

“He considered it the principle of a gentleman to take things as he found them.” (Dickens, 2010, p.668).

“I thought it possible that I could truly love one creature in the world, and not the rest.” (Dickens, 2010, p.733).

“”Oh, to be sure!” said Uriah. “When a person’s humble, you know, what’s an apology? So easy! I say! I suppose,” with a jerk, “you have sometimes plucked a pear before it was ripe, Master Copperfield.” (Dickens, 2010, p.734). “I mean that he forced his confidence upon me, expressly to make me miserable.” (Dickens, 2010, p.760). “”I do, and you can’t help yourself,” replied Uriah. “To think of your ging and attacking me, that have always been a friend to you! But there can’t be a quarrel without two parties, and I won’t be one. I will be a friend to you, in spite of you. So now you know what you’ve got to expect.” (Dickens, 2010, p.761).

Helping a married couple that were estranged of each other: “I dare say he rarely spoke a dozen words in an hour: but his quiet interest, and his wistful face, found immediate response in both their breasts, each knew that the other liked him, and that he loved both; and he became what not one else could be – a link between them.” (Dickens, 2010, p.762).

“”Mr. Copperfield,” returned Mr. Micawber, bitterly, ”when I was an inmate of that retreat I could look my fellow-man in the face, and punch his head if he offended me. My fellow-man and myself are no longer on those glorious terms!”” (Dickens, 2010, p.817).

“I was tired now, and, getting into bed again, fell – off a tower and down a precipice – into the depths of sleep.” (Dickens, 2010, p.874).


“We look into the glittering windows of the jewellers’ shops; and I show Sophy which of the diamond-eyed serpents, coiled up on white satin (…) and we pick out the spoons and forks, fish-slices, butter-knives, and sugar-tongs, we should both prefer if we couold both afford it; and we really go away as if we had got them.” (Dickens, 2010, p.910).

No comments:

Post a Comment