Thursday 3 October 2013

Frost 1997



This book made me feel America and that tiny bit I know of America Frost poems helped me understand better.

“”I can’t think Si ever hurt anyone.”
“No, but he hurt my heart the way he lay
And rolled his old head on that sharp-edged chair-back.”” (Frost, The Death of the hired man, p.63, 1997).

“There’s nothing I’m afraid of like scared people.” (Frost, A Hundred Collars, p.77, 1997).

“(Nothing could draw her after those two sons
She valued the considerate neglect
She had at some cost taught them after years.)” (Frost, The Black Cottage, p.85, 1997).

“The hand that knows his business won’t be told
To do work better or faster.” (Frost, The Code, p.104, 1997).

“ … I can no more
Let people in than I can keep them out.
I’m getting to old for my size, I tell them.” (Frost, The Housekeeper, p.118, 1997).

“He went behind it to make his last stand.
It was a cord of maple, cut and split
And piled – and measured, four by four by eight.“ (Frost, The Wood-Pile, p.133, 1997).

“I never bore it well when people went.
The first night after guests have gone, the house
Seems haunted or exposed. …” (Frost, In The Home Stretch, p.143, 1997).

“When there was no more lantern in the kitchen,
The fire got out through crannies in the stove
And danced in yellow wigglers on the ceiling,
As much at home as if they’d always danced there.” (Frost, In The Home Stretch, p.152, 1997).

“It wasn’t my not weighing anything
So much as my not knowing anything -
My brother had been nearer right before.
I had not taken the first step in knowledge;
I had not learned to let go with the hands,
As stil I have not learned to with the heart,
And have no wish to with the heart – nor need,
That I can see. The mind – is not the heart.
I may yet live, as I know others live,
To wish in vain tp öet go with the mind –
Of cares, at night, to sleep; but nothing tells me
That I need learn to let go with the heart.” (Frost, The Grindstone, p.2356, 1997).

No comments:

Post a Comment