Saturday 22 September 2012

Shakespeare - Macbeth


A story of ambition and desire and how they are the source of unhappiness, madness and destruction.

„Fair is foul and foul is fair“ (Shakespeare, 1994, 8).

„Duncan: ... Go pronounce his present
death,
And with his former title greet Macbeth.
Ross: I’ll see it done.
Duncan: What he hath lost noble Macbeth has won.“ (Shakespeare, 1994, 9).


„Macbeth: ... My thought, whose murder is yet but fantastical,
Shakes so my single state of man, that function
Is smothered in surmise, and nothing is
But what is not.
Banquo: Look how our partner’s rapt.
Macbeth (aside): If chance will have me King, why chance may crown me
Without my stir.“ (Shakespeare, 1994, p.19).

„Macbeth: (...) Stars hide your fires,
Let not light see my black and deep desires;
The eye wink at the hand; yet let that be
Which the eye fears, when it is done to see.“ (Shakespeare, 1994, p.27).

„L. Macbeth: ... What thou wouldst highly,
That wouldst thou holily.“ (Shakespeare, 1994, p.29).

„L. Macbeth: Great Glamis, worthy Cawdor,
Greater than both, by the all-hail hereafter,
Thy letters have transported me beyond
This ignorant present, and I feel now
The future in me instant.“ (Shakespeare, 1994, p.33).



„Macbeth: I have no spur
To prick the sides of my intent, but only
Vaulting ambition, which o’erlaps itself.“ (Shakespeare, 1994, p.39).

„L.Macbeth: Was the hope drunk
Wherein you dressed yourself? Hath it slept since?
And was it now to look so green and pale
At what it did so freely? From this time
Such I account thy love. Art thou afeared
To be the same in thine own act and valour
As thou art in desire?“ (Shakespeare, 1994, p.39).

„Macbeth: Prithee peace,
I dare do all that may become a man;
Who dares do more is none.
L.Macbeth: (...) And to be more than what you were, you would
Be so much more the man. Nor time nor place
Did then adhere, and yet you would make both. (...)
... I have given such, and know
How tender ‚tis to love the babe that milks me –
I would while it was smiling in my face
Have plucked my nipple from his boneless gums
And dashed the brains out, had I sworn
As you have done to this.“ (Shakespeare, 1994, p.41).

„Macbeth: False face must hide what the false heart doth know.“ (Shakespeare, 1994, p.43).

„Macbeth: If you shall cleave to my consent, when ‚tis
It shall make honour for you.
Banquo:     So I lose none
In seeking to augment it, but still keep
My bosom franchised, and allegiance clear,
I shall be counselled.“ (Shakespeare, 1994, p.51).

„Macbeth: I have thee not, and yet I see thee still.
Art thou not, fatal vision, sensible
To feeling as to sight’? O rare thou but
A dagger of the mind, a false creation,
Proceeding from the heat-oppressed brain?
I see thee yet, in form as palpable
As this which I now draw.“ (Shakespeare, 1994, p.51).

„Macbeth: Whiles I threat, he lives
Words to the heat of deed too cold breath gives. (A bell rings)
I go and it is done.“ (Shakespeare, 1994, p.53).

„Macbeth: This is a sorry sight. (Looks on his hands)
L.Macbeth: A foolish thought, to say a sorry sight.“ (Shakespeare, 1994, p.55).

„Macbeth: Methought I heard a voice cry ‚Sleep no more“
Macbeth does murder sleep’ – the innocent sleep,
Sleep that knits up the ravelled sleave of care.
The death of each day’s life, sore labour’s bath,
Balm of hurt minds, great nature’s second course
Chief nourishes in life’s feast.“ (Shakespeare, 1994, p.57).

„Macbeth: Glamis hath murdered sleep, and therefore Cawdor
Shall sleep no more. Macbeth shall sleep no more.“ (Shakespeare, 1994, p.57).

„Macbeth: What hands are here? Ha! They pluck out mine eyes.
Will all great Neptune’s ocean wash this blood
Clean from my hand? (...)
L.Macbeth: A little water clears us of this deed.
How easy is it then?“ (Shakespeare, 1994, p.59).

„Ross: Thriftless ambition, that will ravin up,
Thine own life’s means.“ (Shakespeare, 1994, p.77).

„Macbeth: To be thus is nothing
But to be safely thus.“ (Shakespeare, 1994, p.87).

„L. Macbeth: Nought’s had, all’s spent,
Where our desire is got without content.
‚Tis safer tob e that which we destroy,
Than by destruction dwell in doubtfull joy.“ (Shakespeare, 1994, p.95).

„Macbeth: Better be with the dead,
Whom we, to gain our peace have sent to peace,
Than on the torture of the mind to lie
In restless ecstasy. Duncan is in his grave,
After life’s fitful fever he sleeps well.
Treason has done his worst: nor steel, nor poison,
Malice domestic, foreign levy, nothing
Can touch him further.“ (Shakespeare, 1994, p.97).

„Macbeth: I am in blood
Stepped in so far, that, should I wade no more,
Returning were as tedious as go o’er.“ (Shakespeare, 1994, p.115).

No comments:

Post a Comment